Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Swinging Bells in Ploenchit and what to do on your free day

Imagine a  Hi so town house in Sukhumvit with art work , piped relaxation music , hi quality surface furnishings &  strange looking machines that look like they belong in Demonia on Suk 33 & you have The Pilate's Studio Ploenchit.



Pilate's Reformer
I'm sure I have been bound to one of these in The castle and beaten into submission.
Thank you Mit Tress




Its not your typical gymnasium , nor does it feel like a place where you go to work your arse off , but on April 24 , 2010 I subjected 3 hi so expat housewives to a 45 minute Kettlebell session that would keep them off the podium at Mandarin a gogo for at least 3 days.
Let me run you thru the session.
We were using an 8kg kettlebell so I made sure they could actually lift it off the floor , we started with
  •  Kettlebell dead lifts , Instruction set then 1 set of 15 reps , all good , these girls were actually quite strong
  • 2 hand Kettlebell swings  , Instruction set and then 1 set of 20 reps
  • 1 handed Kettlebell swings 10 reps per arm
  • 1 handed swings with hand exchange 10 reps per arm
  • Kettlebell squat , Instruction set and 1 set of 15 reps
  • First circuit 1 set of 2 handed swings 20 reps , 1 set of Kettlebell squats 15 reps , 1 set of push ups no rest in between exercises
  • Rest and then 2 handed kettlebell overhead press 10 reps rest  and then 15 reps
  • Kettlebell squats with the bell held with 1 hand instead of two , 10 reps.
  • Kettlebell clean instruction and then 1 set of 5 reps and then a set of 10
  • Second circuit , 1 handed Kettlebell swings with hand exchange 20 reps , 1 set of 15 Kettlebell squats followed by 1 set of 10 kettlebell cleans and 1 set of kettlebell Over head press 10 reps no rest in between sets.
I could see every bodies correct form had vanished at this point which meant they were knackered , so I gave them a rest for few minutes .
We finished the session with a fun exercise called under the leg pass , which involves a lot of twisting and bending under tension which is great for the core.
A tuff workout for ladies that have had little or no weight training experience , it elevated their heart rate , activated some muscle groups they don't usually train and gave them an intro to functional strength training .
But will they do it again ????

Changing from your regular diet and lifestyle can be hard , you know big mango chutney burgers with thick cut fries are tasty , super thin wood fired pizza from Limoncello on Suk soi 11 rule and Tony Roma's ribs just melt in ya mouth , so what to do ????

Low carbs High Protein

Enter the free day..
I'm a big believer of the free day , following a reduced calorie diet is tuff , food can be boring and repetitive and if you happen to enjoy flavour and mouth feel , its just not there.
So you have eaten clean for 6 days , low fat , reduced carbs , nutrient dense but calorie sparse 6 meals per day , the serving size were small , you ate lots of steamed veggies , chicken breasts , tuna , salads with olive oil and vinegar dressing , lots of oatmeal and egg white omelets , litres of water and blanched almonds for snacks. You have worked out between 3 and six times mixing some resistance training and cardio.
Even god rested on the seventh , go eat and don't train.
I grew up in Australia , my mum always cooked us roast dinners on Sunday followed by apple pie or pavlova she was a great cook and as a consequence I love food.
So in Bangkok I head to the London Brew Pub on Suk 33 for Sunday Roast , they have lots of side dishes and cold starters and desert is included with the price .
If you happen to be in Pattaya try the Sportsman pub for Sunday lunch , probably the closest thing to mums roasts here in Thailand .
If you like burgers , Big mango chutney burgers are probably the best you will find around and well priced ,
if you like Yum Cha head to Yaowarat or China town , Grand China Princess hotel .
Office bar or Mojos serve a good steak in Pepper sauce when they have good beef , with the added bonus of coyote dancers after 10pm.
Basilico on Suk 33 serve good wood fired Pizza as do limoncello on soi 11.
So enjoy your free day , but remember its back to the grind on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. OK, leave a comment, take two.

    The "comment as" feature seems to have stymied my attempt to leave a comment. Trying again.

    I hate seeing a blog with no comments so...

    What's Yum Cha? I could just go look it up but then I wouldn't have any reason to write a comment.

    Also, I am trying, and failing, to subscribe via email to your blog (don't want to "follow it") and since the doctor said I am not *actually* retarded I feel safe in saying the process is not obvious.

    I'm looking forward to reading your blog. I too am trying to get myself back into shape. Though unlike your self-described abundance of muscles I could accidentally be identified at a distance as a giant, over-ripe pear should I ever be stupid enough to wear that color green.

    I would enjoy hearing your reasoning behind some of the exercise regimes you put together. In other words, is your philosophy to split major muscle groups over different days? Do whole body workouts? Use more dumbbells/kettlebells for increased core tension...? etc. I realize your reasons would differ depending on the client, their needs and goals but I would still be interested and promise to double my number of comments left if you do! ; - )

    ReplyDelete